Our One & Only Myolie Wu Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

o make calls to talk to the T

Go down

o make calls to talk to the T Empty o make calls to talk to the T

Post by AjayBaji Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:27 pm

Cadillac Ignition Coil
Food Bags
metimes he would call me if an insurgent commander had threatened him for not reporting an attack or their views.

On other occasions it was local officials who were complaining.
Continue reading the main story
“Start Quote

Ahmed Omed Khpulwak was one of those brave reporters who have created that bond of trust with the people”

End Quote Peter Horrocks BBC Global News director

* A brave news reporter

It was difficult for both of us. I remember when he told me once that he had had an argument on the telephone with a local militant commander.

I asked him what happened and he said: "I told the commander to go and do whatever you want. You are not God.''

On several occasions, I had to make calls to talk to the Taliban spokesman and Afghan officials explaining our policy and guidelines and telling them that they shouldn't be blaming our reporters if something was not covered.

Omed is the third BBC reporter to be killed in Afghanistan. Merwais Jalil died in Kabul in the civil war in the 1990s. Abdul Samad Roohani was killed by unknown gunmen in Helmand province three years ago.

A few months ago, I visited Newseum - the world famous museum of news and journalism in Washington - and the journalist memorial there. Among other colleagues, I also saw the name of Abdul Samad Roohani.

Never in my worst nightmares did I dream that Omed's name would be added to the memorial wall so soon.

AjayBaji
M-W Member +
M-W Member +

Back to top Go down